« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

3/16 steel tapered pins

Viceroy

Topics: 29

Replies: 39

Posted: Mon 4th Feb 2019, 9:09pm
3/16 steel tapered pins

Would someone be kind enough to let me know the best way to drill for tapered steel pins, and if poss the best drill to use, and where to purchase.

Replies To This Post

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 33

Posted: Tue 5th Feb 2019, 1:43pm

It’s really a fairly straightforward job. I assume you have the reamer and taper pins, if not I see they are available from EKP supplies. I would measure the small end of the taper pin and drill through the part with a drill that size or a few thou smaller. The reamer should enter the hole OK and, using some tapping grease or similar, hand ream some of the way through before cleaning well and trying in the pin. Don’t go to far before you try the pin in the hole as it can all happen very quickly. Slowly slowly catchee monkey. Hope this helps.

Cheers Pete

Mick

Topics: 9

Replies: 169

Posted: Tue 5th Feb 2019, 1:50pm

I agree with Pete, although I always open up a short distance with a slightly larger drill to give the taper reamer some relief when starting. Lots of tapping fluid, and yes, definitely go slowly. Be aware that the taper pin will go in further than you think once some force is applied to it. The photo shows a taper pin securing the lifting lever to the weighshaft on my Thomas 2. The running board had been taken off at the time the photo was taken for better access to the motion work.
I agree with Pete, although I always open up a short distance with a slightly larger drill to give the taper reamer some relief when starting. Lots of tapping fluid, and yes, definitely go slowly. Be aware that the taper pin will go in further than you think once some force is applied to it. The photo shows a taper pin securing the lifting lever to the weighshaft on my Thomas 2. The running board had been taken off at the time the photo was taken for better access to the motion work.

Viceroy

Topics: 29

Replies: 39

Posted: Tue 5th Feb 2019, 9:36pm

Pete, Mick Thanks very much, I understand the process now, I have the pins
think ill try EKP for the reamer and cutting fluid.

Once again Chaps thanks, God Bless, keep Safe.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot