« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Fixing the forward reversing quadrant in place on my Hunslet

Viceroy

Topics: 30

Replies: 41

Posted: Wed 17th Apr 2019, 1:02pm
Fixing the forward reversing quadrant in place on my Hunslet

Gentlemen, a little help please, I am about to fix the forward and reversing quadrant stand in place on my loco, can you please confirm if when the F/R leaver is in the 90' position or in the central notch of the quadrant, should the F/R arm outside the frames be in the vertically central position when viewed from the off side of the loco, square / 90' to the footplate etc.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 26

Replies: 328

Posted: Thu 18th Apr 2019, 7:58pm

I'm not sure I've quite got hold of what you mean, but on most, if not all, the locos I've been involved with it is usual for the mid-gear position to be uppermost. That means that the pole is vertical so movement back and forth is equal. Forward for forwards and back for reverse.

Viceroy

Posted: Thu 18th Apr 2019, 10:23pm

Hi Xz, Thanks for your help, please see the attached photo taken this evening, its the lever with the G cramp on it that's the one I believe should be 90' or vertically when viewed along the foot plate on the right side of the loco, the configuration of the linkage is 90'
Hi Xz, Thanks for your help, please see the attached photo taken this evening, its the lever with the G cramp on it that's the one I believe should be 90' or vertically when viewed along the foot plate on the right side of the loco, the configuration of the linkage is 90'

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 34

Posted: Fri 19th Apr 2019, 8:28am

Difficult to see exactly what you mean but this is a photo of my 3” Hunslet during the build which shows the pole reverser vertical and the front lever vertical. Logically this is how I thought it should be so that front and rear movement on the pole is identical.  It worked for me and the loco has now done 1500+ miles so it must be right.
Pete
Difficult to see exactly what you mean but this is a photo of my 3” Hunslet during the build which shows the pole reverser vertical and the front lever vertical. Logically this is how I thought it should be so that front and rear movement on the pole is identical. It worked for me and the loco has now done 1500+ miles so it must be right.
Pete

Xz

Topics: 26

Replies: 328

Posted: Fri 19th Apr 2019, 8:40am

Ahh! Ok, I see what you mean. I would call that a relay lever or bell crank. The correct postion would be when in mid gear the angle between the push-pull rod and the arm should be a right angle or as close to it as you can possibly manage, so there is no lost angular movment from forward to reverse. I got caught out initially with just that problem on my Garratt.

Viceroy

Posted: Fri 19th Apr 2019, 8:51am

Little Hunslet, Xz, you've made an old man very happy, Thanks thought one was mid point and the other 90' etc, I'll do my best next time to get the terminology correct, As a retired Architectural Consultant i'm OK on part E and part L Building regs, BB93 and HTM0801 interstitial condensation etc.
Have a great weekend all

Mick

Topics: 9

Replies: 177

Posted: Fri 19th Apr 2019, 9:31am

It's always best to seek advice before ploughing on and making a big mistake on your loco, which is the whole purpose of this forum. Please don't think I am being pedantic, but as there seems to be some confusion about terminology, the 'crank' is called the weighshaft lever, whilst the long flat rod between the reverser stand and the lever is the reach rod. The two other levers on the weighshaft which operate the valve gear are lifting levers, although they lower as well as lift!

Viceroy

Posted: Fri 19th Apr 2019, 2:52pm

Xz, Mick,Pete,
I agree most earnestly with Mick's comments, when building my 7 1/4g Hunslet Joining our society was the best thing i did.

Thanks again
Kevin ( Viceroy )

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot