« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Gas fired vertical boilers

Lambrail

Topics: 13

Replies: 17

Posted: Tue 7th Aug 2018, 12:54pm
Gas fired vertical boilers

I have a small 7 1/4 chassis (1 1/2" X 1 1/4" cylinders). The loco was designed around a 3 1/2" gauge Linda boiler. I thought that a Vertical boiler may be suitable istead. Does anyone have experience of gas fired vertical boilers?

How do you know if a boiler will produce enough steam for a locomotive?

Replies To This Post

WembleyLion

Topics: 3

Replies: 43

Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 12:08pm

Hi Lambrail,

There is an explanation/calculations of steam requirements and boiler sizeing in K.N.Harris's book Model Boilers and Boilermaking but it is too long to type out here.
I have just looked on eBay and find there is a good selection of secondhand copies available.

Hope this helps. John

Lambrail

Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 1:57pm

Thanks John

George Coles

Topics: 27

Replies: 172

Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 3:17pm

Hello

I recall Dennis Billington mentioning that he had calculated the boiler size for his Tasmanian Garratt. I don't know if he is a 7 1/4 member, but if so the secretary should be able to put you in touch. If he isn't a 7q member, then try secretary@nsme.co.uk who should pass your message on.

Hope this helps.

George C

George Coles

Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 3:52pm

Just checked and Dennis is a member of this society (don't know what made me think he might not be!)

Bring back the address book for those who want to be in it?

George C

George Coles

Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 4:21pm

Just checked and Dennis is a member of this society (don't know what made me think he might not be!)

Bring back the address book for those who want to be in it?

George C

WembleyLion

Topics: 3

Replies: 43

Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 7:48pm

Hi Lambrail,

Just a couple of thoughts on your project.

Re; gas firing a water leg vertical firetube boiler.

Unlike coal, gas burners give very little heat out to the side of the flame so when calculating the Heating Surface of such a boiler for gas firing it is wise not take into account the walls of the fire box, include only the tubes and tubeplate in your calculations.

Gas burners have their own regulated air supply so the blast pipe needs to go to the top of the chimney so that no vacuum is created in the firebox or the flame will be lifted off the jets.

My apologies if you already know this.

John

Lambrail

Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 8:06pm

Thank you all.

John, I am very much an amateur so I am always willing to learn. I am not even sure if a gas fired vertical boiler is a practical item for a small 7 1/4 gauge loco. I must however admit I like the idea if it was.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot