« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Petrol/diesel powered loco

brianmason

Topics: 9

Replies: 13

Posted: Wed 5th Sep 2018, 5:27pm
Petrol/diesel powered loco

Hi there has been chat about building a loco powered by battery with petrol or Diesel engine top up any thoughts on how to build this Power option ? Thank you in anticipation ! Brian M ALR C Secretary

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 23

Replies: 156

Posted: Thu 6th Sep 2018, 3:58pm

Brian no experience of your actual proposal but straight petrol electric to me is the simplest and cheapest option. You only need a cheap controller and a battery big enough to start the engine unless hand start then even smaller battery. Dave Webb’s system I can recommend. http://www.smex.net.au/Reference/AlternatorTraction02.php

brianmason

Posted: Thu 6th Sep 2018, 5:42pm

Many thanks Martyn, will pass this onto JP. ,,,,,Brian

Colin Edmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 93

Posted: Tue 11th Sep 2018, 11:19am

I have to agree with Martyn, a hybrid is a battery electric with on board charging system, and still needs the expensive controller to handle the high currents involved. It does have the advantage of operating quietly without the engine for a period defined by the size of the battery(ies). The straight petrol-electric just generates what it needs, when it needs it, with no need to store the charge. There are two ways of doing it, either the converted car alternator as Martyn mentioned, or by using a permanent magnet motor as a dynamo, as I do in the Scamp. This is cheaper and more effecient, but is limited in the power it can transmit by the size of the motor used as the dynamo, around 1hp being the maximum.

brianmason

Posted: Tue 11th Sep 2018, 12:36pm

Hi Colin, many thanks for your response, which is very helpful, kind regards Brian M

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot