« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Rolling Roads

richardpriestley

Topics: 2

Replies: 4

Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2018, 7:58pm
Rolling Roads

What distance do people normally space the centres for the bearings on the fixed pairs of bearings under each wheel, Currently making a set for my loco but just not sure as to what size to place them apart. Any suggestions please.

Richard.

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 9

Replies: 163

Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2018, 8:20pm

It really depends on the diameter of the loco's wheels. Too far apart they will drop through, too close they won't keep the loco in situ. Attached is a photo of Rod Burnley's showing his Thomas 2 on a rolling road. The driving wheels are 9½" diameter. Perhaps someone out there has a formula?
It really depends on the diameter of the loco's wheels. Too far apart they will drop through, too close they won't keep the loco in situ. Attached is a photo of Rod Burnley's showing his Thomas 2 on a rolling road. The driving wheels are 9½" diameter. Perhaps someone out there has a formula?

richardpriestley

Posted: Tue 1st May 2018, 4:33pm

Mick, its for my T2 that I need it for. what is the distance between the bearing centers?

Nige Freestone

Topics: 1

Replies: 10

Posted: Tue 1st May 2018, 8:27pm

Richard, I don't have a formula to calculate the spacing, but looking at the picture, I would say the spacing is approximately equal to the radius of the wheel.

Mick

Posted: Wed 2nd May 2018, 7:18pm

Richard, I don't know the exact distance but after measuring the photo I agree with Nigel. If you are still wanting an exact measurement I suggest you contact Rod Burnley.

richardpriestley

Posted: Wed 2nd May 2018, 10:32pm

Have done some basic trig calcs looking at the tangential load points and I came up with a figure of 5" centers. This isn't a million miles from Nigels comment of equal to the radius of the wheel so we have gone with that. Will let you all know how the trial goes. have just got to fix the cross members in place now and we will give it a go on Saturday.

Mick

Posted: Thu 3rd May 2018, 9:04am

I look forward to hearing how you get on. I have resumed work on my own Thomas 2 and a bit now that the bitterly cold weather seems to have gone away at last.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot