« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Romulus leaf springs

Slowcoach

Topics: 5

Replies: 16

Posted: Thu 25th Oct 2018, 5:56pm
Romulus leaf springs

I'm about to install the leaf springs on my Romulus. The pushrod is supposed to be 4 1/8" and leave the bottom of the buckle 1/4" above the top of the frames. Do I install the springs with the axleboxes on the horn keeps or should I raise them up to running position to get the pushrod length correct?
I've made the holes in the links at 1 3/4" centres but offering the springs up, it looks as though 1 7/8" centres might be nearer the mark.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 24

Replies: 296

Posted: Thu 25th Oct 2018, 10:31pm

The difficulty as always, is knowing what the ride height will actually be when all is complete. When I made Jill, I shortened the push rods a little to allow the a/boxes to come just clear of the keeps, and left the links 'as drawn'. Her ride height seems about right. To some extent it must also depend on how stiff your springs are. Better perhaps to leave the rods slightly longer than seems ideal then they could be shortened later. You could always make new ones later as well.

Bob.G.

Slowcoach

Topics: 5

Replies: 16

Posted: Wed 31st Oct 2018, 3:03pm

Dear Bob G,
Thanks for your reply. It has given me the clue I needed. I think I still have a set of Roger Marsh drgs spring suspension links in the "may be useful one day" box. I'll see how I go with my long links, and, if they don't set things up properly, try to find my short jobs.
Once again, many thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

Jack

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot