« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Sweet William Injectors & Steam Turret

Draig

Topics: 1

Replies: 0

Posted: Fri 15th Jun 2018, 4:04pm
Sweet William Injectors & Steam Turret

I'm extremely new model engineering, having done nothing like this before. I've decided to try and build a Sweet William, and currently I'm doing a great deal of planning, particularly looking at what I want to add to the loco!

I want to fit a couple of injectors but I'm not sure what size to go for, tbh i'v not found much information online (is a chance though that i'm not looking in the right place) any advice would be appreciated.

Also i'm trying to find out as much information as to what other extra's I can add to the steam turret, obviously there will be the injector valves and blower anything else worth thinking about adding? Vacuum brakes have been suggested especially if I want to pull passengers around a club track...

Sorry if these questions seam basic but its a steep learning curve for me...

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Replies To This Post

Lynne L

Topics: 1

Replies: 10

Posted: Sun 28th Oct 2018, 10:22am

Hi, I am also extremely new model engineering and still learning. The size of injector is relative to the capacity of the boiler. On my loco the boiler has a water capacity of 32 pints of water and is fitted with a No.6 injector which on paper will inject 4 pints per minute into the boiler and works very well now I have replaced it with a new one, where as a friend of mine's loco has a capacity of 100 pints and is fitted with a No.8 injector with a capacity of 8 pints per minute. Another thing you will need to take into consideration is the size of the pipework feeding the injector.

Good luck with your project.

Xz

Topics: 25

Replies: 318

Posted: Sun 28th Oct 2018, 12:35pm

If fitting two injectors, it is considered good practice to fit different sizes. There won't be many occasions when you will be likely to use both together, so being able to fill at different rates can have advantages. My Romulus is fitted with a 4 pint and a 6 pint. As Lynne suggests make sure your pipes are big enough, and as straight as possible to allow for a free flow. Problems with injectors are usually down to insufficient pipe sizes or air getting into the feed water pipe. Keeping them internally clean is also important.

Bob G.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot