« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

The fixing of Cross Heads

Viceroy

Topics: 29

Replies: 39

Posted: Mon 18th Mar 2019, 6:42pm
The fixing of Cross Heads

Gents, advice on the best way to fix cross heads to my piston rods on my Hunslet. any help would be appreciated, how too, what's the best way to do it etc. best metal to use ?

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 25

Replies: 301

Posted: Tue 19th Mar 2019, 9:08am

Your drawings should give the design method for this loco. Usual methods are screwed and cross-pinned, which is useful for obtaining the right length of rod. Tapered seat (less than 6 degs) and cross-pinned, a' la Romulus, which is more tricky getting the depth right for the length, or just straight drilled and reamed (and cross-pinned) with or without Loctite.

I don't understand the question about 'best metal'; for what?

Viceroy

Posted: Wed 20th Mar 2019, 8:07pm

Thanks Xz, just thought there may be a recognized method used by professional loco builders of how to fix the cross heads, that i was possibly unaware of.

With respect to my question about " best metal " it relates to the pins, Hardened or not, loctite or not ?

Xz

Topics: 25

Replies: 301

Posted: Wed 20th Mar 2019, 10:51pm

For cross-pins you are probably best using std. taper pins. They aren't hardened, and the shallow taper insures they don't come adrift so no need for Loctite. A good sharp rap is all they need to seat them, no need to beat a tattoo on them.

Mick

Topics: 9

Replies: 167

Posted: Thu 21st Mar 2019, 8:08am

I agree with Xz on this. Here's a photo of the right hand crosshead on my Thomas 2 type loco, you can refer to my previous post on fitting taper pins.
I agree with Xz on this. Here's a photo of the right hand crosshead on my Thomas 2 type loco, you can refer to my previous post on fitting taper pins.

Viceroy

Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2019, 4:07pm

Thanks Mick. nice pic, very helpful.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot