« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Weight of a Roanoak.

Lou Sapphire

Topics: 1

Replies: 5

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 5:33am
Weight of a Roanoak.

Does anyone know the weight of the Roanoak. I am trying to assess what size of trailer i need. Catch 22. How big does a trailer need to be to carry either a Roanoak. Or an Abbots Class 66 with a mailtrain driving truck. When you cant pop it on a trailer and go and measure it.

Replies To This Post

George Coles

Topics: 25

Replies: 159

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 7:55am

Have you tried the makers'web-sites?
If not there, I'm sure they would be able to tell you if you contacted them.

Lou Sapphire

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 11:13am

For some reason I cannot get any contact from any of the Roanoak Emails od Phone numbers. Bar rocking up at their door, im begining to think they have stopped trading.

Lou Sapphire

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 11:41am

Just got this back.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* info@roanoke.co.uk

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-9-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Weight of Roanoke.", could not be delivered to info@roanoke.co.uk.

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

550:550 This domain is not hosted here

RStearn

Topics: 0

Replies: 14

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 3:54pm

Lou

If you follow http://www.roanoke.co.uk/ it takes you to a website for cardertech. I suspect Roanoke was a trading name for Carder Technology and they have discontinued trading under that name.

Roanoke last advertised in the News at Issue 136 (Sprint 2011).
The telephone numbers for Roanoke and Carder Tech are the same.

Hope tha helps.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 23

Replies: 156

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 7:38pm

I weighed my locos with two sets of bathroom scale, don’t tell the missus. Weigh each axle separately and add together. The reason was exactly the same as yours to find out if they fit the trailer.

Lou Sapphire

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 8:52pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I think i will try to contact them by phone as everything else seems to be a dry well. Perhaps they dont know their email is saying no host. It may be a small side of their business and not closely monitored. I also imagine the advert was a block booking to save money so if they have gone pop I will be very disappointed as i wanted another Roanoke.But I will let you all know the outcome.

Johng

Topics: 2

Replies: 3

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 10:03pm

If my memory serves me right ,Roanoke ceased making locomotives some years back although at the time they said they would still service etc. locos which they had sold. They were still in business but now concentrating on other types of engineering work. I cannot remember the name they were trading under but it was probably as indicated above.

As for trailers I would think that any trailer which is big enough to accommodate the loco, will have no problem whatsoever when it comes to weight. The loco cannot weigh any more than 6cwts at the most therefore any sensibly sized commercial trailer should have no problems whatsoever.

Lou Sapphire

Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2018, 10:19pm

Thanks Johng. Im trying to solve two problems at once. The unknown weight of my Roanoke and the 8ft 9inch length of my Abbots Class 66.
Added to the towing limit of my vehicle at 1600 kilos. I think I will just plunge and hope that a load weight of 456KG will be enough. It certainly will cover the Class 66. Then i will find a weigh bridge for the roanoke.

ivanhewlett

Topics: 9

Replies: 63

Posted: Sun 22nd Jul 2018, 5:32pm

Hi Lou

I can tell you that as a start point a Roanoke is 'very heavy'. We have one on loan, with tender, and I would estimate that the loco might be as much as 300kg and around 200kg for the tender. This is only a guess, but I suspect not far off. Put it this way on the unbraked club trailer I was only happy to transport each part individually. If yours is like the one we have then there will be 4 heavy cast iron weights suspended outboard of the driven axles.

Sorry I have not got absolute numbers though.

Kind Regards, Ivan (1065)

Lou Sapphire

Posted: Sun 22nd Jul 2018, 8:57pm

Thanks Ivan, I will have to take a view as i really only want to transport the 66 to other clubs. But would want to take the Roanoak back to my home workshop (When it's finished ) for maintenance.

johnnicholson

Topics: 14

Replies: 83

Posted: Sun 22nd Jul 2018, 11:35pm

Lou, Just a heads up before you go ahead. I worked in the trailer industry and the rules have changed since 2012 and are being enforced. When you know what your tow vehicle is have a check on the log book and check the weight of trailer you are permitted to tow with that vehicle. Also the weights on the trailer manufacturers must be within the weights listed on the log book and these are gross trailer weights. On the back of the log book there are a number of letters and figures against them pertaining to the vehicle - O1 is an unbraked trailer and O2 is a braked trailer. e.g. I have a Ford Focus estate and I can tow 650Kg unbraked and 700 KG braked.

These figures can also be derived from the manufacturers plate on the vehicle (Vin plate). The O1 weight is derived from half the vehicle unladen weight (for my car 1361Kg giving trailer weight of 650KG). The O2 weight is derived from the vehicle train weight less max permissable mass or revenue weight of tow vehicle (for my car 2525 Kg train weight less max permissable mass 1825 Kg leaving a trailer weight of 700Kg)

If your trailer is plated for say, in my case 1000Kg you are immediately overweight.

I am seriously considering a van for my loco even though I am used to doing miles of towing.

I hope this helps.

John

Bill

Topics: 18

Replies: 37

Posted: Mon 23rd Jul 2018, 8:12am

My Roanoke was not supplied with any extra weight anyehere and were not part of it's supply. I'd be interested mind as to what and how those weights were added. She is somewhat heavy and I thing the pre purchase catalogue suggests it weighs 600LB and I assume that includes the tender.
The website for Roanoke does lead you to the Carder Tech... which is their main business in medical equipment. I from a recent publication the locomotive business part of is for sale.

Bill

Topics: 18

Replies: 37

Posted: Mon 23rd Jul 2018, 10:09pm

LOU, Please get in touch if you can somehow. Membership No. 3445.I do have a Roanoke

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot