« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

cromar white 740watt motor and gearbox

ALJHUD

Topics: 2

Replies: 3

Posted: Fri 15th Feb 2019, 10:31am
cromar white 740watt motor and gearbox

hi, has anyone any experience of using the cromar white motor and gearbox,for powering petrol electric loco ?..

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 24

Replies: 167

Posted: Fri 15th Feb 2019, 2:23pm

A good place to ask would be the Cromarty White Railways Group on Facebook

ALJHUD

Posted: Fri 15th Feb 2019, 2:54pm

thanks for your reply, i have tried emailing cromer white but as of today, not had a reply...dont like facebook so i cant go that way...many thanks...

NG DAYS

Topics: 4

Posted: Sat 16th Feb 2019, 9:05am

What CW product has it been taken out from?

ALJHUD

Posted: Sat 16th Feb 2019, 9:44am

as of yet i dont have one, i have the motor, 24v high capacity alternator and 24 v starter motor, which was going to be the plan, i am now looking at an Eaton drive or the CW drive.The chassis and final chain drive is ready, now i need to make my mind up.....

ivanhewlett

Topics: 9

Replies: 66

Posted: Tue 19th Feb 2019, 3:33pm

There should be no problem is using the motor gearbox you describe with an alternator as a power source. I have used alternators to drive traction motors in the past and they offer very controllable power once the regulator is replaced with a suitable controller. In my case I built a 555 based oscillator PWM circuit, but nowadays there are cheap ready to use PWM controllers available on ebay for a few poounds, the type that Colin Edmondson uses to good effect in his SCAMP design. There is nothing wrong with the Eaton 7 as a transmission, but why buy one of those when you have 90% of the parts you need for an equally good electric transmission ? Good luck in any case :-)

ALJHUD

Posted: Tue 19th Feb 2019, 3:39pm

many thanks, sound advice...l may pick your brains again when i get to the electronics...regards

Colin Edmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 93

Posted: Thu 28th Feb 2019, 10:18am

Here is a link to Dave Webb's web site, which will give you all the information required to go for petrol-electric using a converted car alternator to provide the power. I used this system in my loco DON. It works reliably, but is inefficient so will produce a lot of heat for which I added an additional 12v fan pointed at the alternator. http://www.smex.net.au/reference/AlternatorTraction02.php

ivanhewlett

Topics: 9

Replies: 66

Posted: Fri 8th Mar 2019, 12:08pm

Hi Further to your comment Colin I was puzzled by the inefficiency issue, so followed your link. That chap is using switched resistance to limit the current flow through the winding, my suspicion is that the heat you mention emanates from the resistances rather than the alternator, is this the case do you know ? I used a single MJ11016 device to handle the pwm into a pair of paralelled alternators (one feeding each bogie) and there was virtually no heat produced anywhere, the transistor was simply mounted to the locomotive chassis for heatsinking. Interesting topic :-) Cheers, Ivan

Colin Edmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 93

Posted: Wed 20th Mar 2019, 9:21pm

Hi Ivan. I have been told by others that the system isn't much over 50% efficient, and the traction alternator on my DON certainly gets very hot indeed. Before I fitted a dedicated fan it would boil the petrol in the tank on a hot day!

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot