« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

flange profile tool

workwright

Topics: 4

Replies: 6

Posted: Thu 25th Oct 2018, 10:41am
flange profile tool

Hi, having found a source of reasonably priced steel discs I was wondering if anybody has produced a flange forming tool or has any experience of having used one in this scale. I have a very large and powerful lathe well up to the task.

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 24

Replies: 160

Posted: Thu 25th Oct 2018, 3:21pm

No but it will be interesting to see the result.

Slowcoach

Topics: 5

Replies: 17

Posted: Thu 25th Oct 2018, 5:46pm

In the 1970s, I was in charge of independent inspection of some steam locomotive tyre lathes destined for China. If I remember rightly, they used multiple tool milling cutters that automatically produced the full tyre profiles as the wheel rotated. I remember being impressed with the fact that the dimensions were correct to .001" - on a 6 ft wheel, pretty impressive! Is there a way to emulate this technique with your lathe turning the wheel and an independently driven cutter head developing the profile?

I also remember that when people started cutting steel wheel blanks from plate, there was a tendency for the wheels to become slightly oval with use due the orientation of the grain structure from rolling of the plate. Ideally, one should use slices taken from steel bar.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot