« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

BRUSSELS AGM 2022

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 42

Replies: 165

Posted: Mon 4th Jan 2021, 5:20pm
BRUSSELS AGM 2022

Is Brussels really a good option in view of Brexit?

Maybe for me just popping over the border from France but probably not so when coming from the UK since leaving the E U. I have long memories from the past about 'Temporary Importation' difficulties and the reams of paper work which was all swept away until 4 days ago. If the paper chase returns which looks highly likely the attraction of a few days away in another country to meet the continentals following our hobby will quickly fade. Lets hope however that a no fuss regime will follow the many years of paper free access that many of us have enjoyed.

Replies To This Post

frankcooper

Topics: 14

Replies: 136

Posted: Mon 4th Jan 2021, 9:34pm

When Covid permits I shall be going over to Brussels to start the final arrangements. It looks as if all the "tourist" will have to do is extend their car insurance (if using it) if not then Eurostar will get you to Brussels.

Please remember we have a sizeable number of our current members who live in Europe.

johnnicholson

Topics: 17

Replies: 95

Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 10:34am

Way back it would have been after 1988 to about 1992 I was at Hemsby week and at one point I was sat talking to Luc Tennstedt. He was showing me the paperwork he still needed to bring his models into Uk for visits. At this time we had been members of the EU for sometime but you still needed the paperwork at customs. He had an A4 pad with duplicates and all his models likely to travel were listed on the form he simply crossed out any models he was not bringing on that trip. At customs leaving the goods were checked against the form and the appropriate sheet given to customs. On arriving Uk another sheet was handed in after checking and a third sheet leaving UK. The final sheet was given in on arriving in his home country.This way the customs could check that he had brought back to his country what he had taken out.

All this paperwork will need sorting well in advance and do not forget when Luc showed me his paperwork we had been in the common market a number of years.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 11:27am

Thanks John for that post I too got tangled up in 'paper' with boats the first 1975/78 and later in 1993/94. Lynne on here who was into small stuff (O gauge I think?) years back shied away from invitations to take her layout overseas because of the sheer amount of bureaucracy, That has returned owing to Brexit as I already know as a French property owner and where my railway is situated.

Xz

Topics: 33

Replies: 397

Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 4:10pm

This is obviously a concern to those taking locos. When we went in 2007 I took 'Jill' and didn't have any paperwork (other than boiler cert etc), and was not approached either way by customs, but things are certainly likely change now.

johnnicholson

Topics: 17

Replies: 95

Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 5:12pm

Just to clarify my earlier post with goods that need tariffs now and it is yet to be seen how it works. The customs will need to check that you are not taking a loco out to sell and so need to be able to ensure what goes out of the UK returns.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 5:49pm

Sure it won't be easy from now on I know how the French love their 'papers' In the news yesterday only Doctors can give the Covid jab and then only to those who have signed a 45 (YES FORTY FIVE) page disclaimer I have five machines, a new loco and a stack of rail destined for France I missed the 31st December Brexit deadline because of Dover lorry chaos, No info is available as to taking my own goods over what's certain is it will be a future logistical nightmare.

George

Topics: 8

Replies: 44

Posted: Thu 7th Jan 2021, 10:06am

Members. Please will you keep to the subject matter in hand and desist from disparaging comment that only annoys.
Webmaster

craiggluyas

Topics: 0

Replies: 7

Posted: Thu 7th Jan 2021, 11:57am

Having seen this thread I thought I'd do a little bit of research. 5 mins online shows the only differences appear the requirement for a green card for both vehicle and another for a trailer from your insurer, potentially following some simple requirements to temporarily export goods using a "duplicate list" as John mentioned above (though that seems to apply to traders only) and the need to declare at customs. All will, I would have thought, be clarified by those organising nearer the time with the relevant authorities before relaying out to the membership. Hardly worth getting het up about unless you're trying to make a political point and that should be kept out of the hobby (there's enough politics in it as it is)!!

Craig

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Thu 7th Jan 2021, 12:23pm

Quite so George, As I'm in at the deep end here I will soon be diving in to test the system both as regards taking items UK to France where those items will be staying permanently and also the extent of the paper chase for taking a loco to France by road on my own trailer then bringing it back to the UK again so a temporary importation. As soon as I'm aware of what's involved as preliminaries and then a later real experience I will post on here, may be useful to some others even before Brussels?

If 'RAILROSE' (Netherlands) and a visitor to the Newport AGM sees this it may be good to hear her reaction?

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Fri 15th Jan 2021, 8:23pm

Does anyone think we need a little light hearted comment in these difficult days? If so I would suggest if attending Brussels from the UK you eat your ham sandwich before disembarking the ferry? I will be OK crossing France to Belgium as as my sandwich will only contain EU ham.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot