« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Confirm Login

Xz

Topics: 33

Replies: 397

Posted: Sun 14th Jul 2019, 8:48am
Confirm Login

Just a simple question. Am I the only one who now has an 'Update Login' drop down menu, every time I click a tab in our header? It started two days ago and is extremely annoying? It doesn't matter if I confirm it or ignore it, it just keeps coming back. It could be something to do with FireFox (I've checked and it is up to date), but this is the only site that does it, and only when I haven't signed in.

Replies To This Post

George Coles

Topics: 31

Replies: 188

Posted: Sun 14th Jul 2019, 3:45pm

Bob, I've just tried the site without signing in. Seems the same as usual for me: no drop-down menu appeared in the manner you described.

I'm using Windows 7 and Google Chrome.

Sorry I cannot help - good hunting.

George C

Xz

Posted: Sun 14th Jul 2019, 5:38pm

Thanks George, as I suggested it maybe a Firefox problem, or a site problem with Firefox. I just got it again twice as I had to login to write. I'm on W10 & FF.

RETBDavid

Topics: 0

Replies: 9

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 1:43am

Bob, I've just had a long browse around the site without signing in and have not encountered any problems during my visit. I am using Windows 8.1 and FF as usual. (V 68.0 64bit). Just wondering if it may be a Windows 10 problem with a recent installed update that is causing the problem?
David.

Mick

Topics: 11

Replies: 236

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 8:35am

I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but the website no longer remembers my password, despite ticking the remember me box, and I have to delete a row of dots from the password box and enter my password each time I try to log on. I am on windows 10 but this has only started happening recently.
I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but the website no longer remembers my password, despite ticking the remember me box, and I have to delete a row of dots from the password box and enter my password each time I try to log on. I am on windows 10 but this has only started happening recently.

Xz

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 8:57am

@David, I did wonder that as several things changed with last weeks 'Gates and Mates' update, but why only this site?

@Mick, Unfortunately Mick not the same drop-down, I've had your problem with signing in, just about forever, I gave up trying to fix it and now rarely bother to sign in other than to write on here. This one keeps asking me to Confirm my Login details, again with the 'long string' password, every time I click something on the front page header.

Mick

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 11:28am

I've been doing exactly the same as you Bob. For info of all on posting this problem I've emailed John Nicholson to ask if something can be done about it.

Bill

Topics: 21

Replies: 49

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 1:32pm

I've been getting the same drop down, but goes after using password. Return to the site later you still have the same motions

George Coles

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 3:29pm

Bill, are you using Windows 10?

George C

Xz

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 4:05pm

From the replies it is beginning to look like a W10 compatibility problem, but why only this site, and why doesn't it go away when you do update? I've done the Googly thing and nothing comes up at all.

WEBMASTER???

Railrose

Topics: 4

Replies: 56

Posted: Mon 15th Jul 2019, 8:47pm

Windows 7 and Google Chrome, no problem with signing in. I click on the sign-in tab, the window drops down with my e-mail adress visible and my password hidden as dots. The remember-me box is blank. I click on sign-in and the member's window opens. No roblems, works as usual.

RETBDavid

Replies: 9

Posted: Tue 16th Jul 2019, 3:48am

I have just logged in with the "remember me" option ticked - and now I cannot deselect it! Each time I now log in I get the same as Mick's picture above. And I have to highlight the row of dots and enter my password each time. If I do not, then I get taken to the wrong password screen to re-enter them. Clicking the usual sign in button then drops down the usual box in Mick's picture with blank fields and the square blank. Enter details WITHOUT clicking the square and log in. Log out and then try to log in again and the details are already filled in even though I deselected the option! I did the same in Chrome, and that is locked in as well and cannot be deselected.
David.

frankcooper

Topics: 14

Replies: 136

Posted: Tue 16th Jul 2019, 9:45pm

I have no trouble on a daily basis either - perhaps the "newer Windows 10 is to blame.

Xz

Posted: Tue 16th Jul 2019, 11:01pm

It has undoubtedly occurred since the last big W10 update, so is an incompatibility problem somewhere. I've also tried with I.E and there's no 'Update Login' problem with that. However the long string password 'Sign in' problem is still there, as it has been for the last however many years.

George

Topics: 8

Replies: 44

Posted: Wed 17th Jul 2019, 5:37pm

Hi Guys
As the Webmaster I try to help however a couple of thoughts,
1 Firefox. I have no experience of Firefox so cannot help but other people who use Firefox tell me there is no problem. Have you the latest version and have you installed it properly. If not I suggest you reinstall it.

2 Passwords. I have the same problem. It is actually a repeat of the password. Some people have it some dont. I do and I live with it. Just delete the upteem figure password you have and insert the password again. Actually password should never be remembered anyway its a dangerous practice. It is also a personal PC problem.
3 I work on the latest edition of windows with no problems apart from the password which I live with.
George
I can be contacted on webmaster@sevenandaquarter.org for any problems

Xz

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2019, 10:54am

George W, please email me direct. I have information which I cannot put on open forum. (or ring)

Peter Beevers

Topics: 6

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2019, 1:19pm

George, if you really are the webmaster of this site then as an IT professional with nearly 40 years in this industry, I have to say that your attitude stinks, and you massively devalue the hard work most people in the IT industry do.
1. Firefox - it would take you 5 minutes to install it and try, that's all, rather than brush off the issue like this and take the patronising view you did of anyone who uses it.
2. So you acknowledge there is an issue - THEN FIX IT. It's only going to be 5 minutes work, and, as you can reproduce the fault, easy to find.
3. Why not ask for which patches have been installed etc. so that you can look into the issue, rather than just saying 'well, it works for me, so tough'.
'Disgruntled'.

Lynne L

Replies: 35

Posted: Thu 18th Jul 2019, 9:38pm

All I can say on the subject is that I have no problems signing in and never have had. I am using Windows 10 and Google Chrome.

Xz

Posted: Fri 19th Jul 2019, 3:03pm

This thread is more about those that are having problems than those who don't, there are many different combinations of platform out there, some may work, some not.

Further, I have dumped FireFox and re-installed and the problems are still the same. Living with the Login one is not an option as it continually obscures the part of the header that is needed to navigate the site.

I haven't added or changed any setting within my P.C. so whatever is causing this is outside.

George Coles

Posted: Fri 19th Jul 2019, 6:04pm

Bob, I think that Lynne's post is all about eliminating the variables. Thus narrowing down the possible causes of your problem. The more responses the more data is available to whomsoever is going to troubleshoot the problem.

So come on folks, if you don't have a problem, be helpful and say so!

George C

franksidebottom

Replies: 57

Posted: Fri 19th Jul 2019, 6:30pm

No problem here, signing in with Mac/Apple.
Signing in, however it may affect different users, is not so much of a problem compared to the lack of being able to message members privately (PM).
I would urge the Committee/Webmaster to look into installing such a facility to our website system, a facility which seems easy enough for so many other enthusiast forums (forae?) to accommodate, rail or otherwise. Such facility would easily replace the now-removed Members' Directory section without compromising security/privacy rules.
Frank S.

Xz

Posted: Fri 19th Jul 2019, 7:29pm

I hear you George, but I'm sure that those who are having no problem is greater by some margin than those who are. Ideally, no one should be! The more who post with no problem will mask those that do. The useful info is what platform they are using, to attempt to identify where the problem lies.

I wholeheartedly endorse Frank's request for a P.M. system to be added to our website. There is little point in being a Society where we cannot contact one another in some way.

Xz

Posted: Wed 24th Jul 2019, 7:27pm

This remains a continuing problem. It is not the Sign In problem high lighted by Mick Savage, but an additional one making navigating the site near impossible and only occurs when NOT signed in. Neither are acceptable!!!

I don't think it would hurt for this thread to be moved to the Member's area as well!

Xz

Posted: Fri 16th Aug 2019, 4:50pm

This problem is ongoing. I've tried deleting the website from my history and bookmarks etc, and done a re-start before trying again, but still get asked to confirm my Login with the wrong Password.

George Coles

Posted: Fri 16th Aug 2019, 8:10pm

Looks like W10 and/or Firefox to me.

I wonder if anyone tested the site for compatability with these two, either singly or in combination?

George C

Xz

Posted: Sat 17th Aug 2019, 9:34am

And today it's gone! Anyone know why?

The sign-in password is still wrong, like Mick said.

Late edit : - I spoke too soon! It's back.

Xz

Posted: Sat 12th Oct 2019, 8:42am

It is day two of the confirm login drop-down screen being missing. I did have a M.S. update two nights ago, has that sorted the problem? The long algorithm password is also missing. Perhaps it will now remember my login details correctly as well. It's much easier to navigate the site without having to "dodge the box"

Xz

Posted: Sun 13th Oct 2019, 8:33am

No day three then? This is a weird one.

Xz

Posted: Mon 13th Jan 2020, 7:29pm

Shhhhh!!! Keep it to a quite whisper. It's gone again, day three! My saved password is also now correct. Firefox did update the other night (Fri?) but it didn't sort it straight away.

Or is it all in my imagination?

Magpie

Replies: 5

Posted: Mon 13th Jan 2020, 8:57pm

I have the same problem. I asked that my Email address be changed from my old one (gan...) to my new one (woo...). The old one was not changed on logging in but the new one appears in the dropdown box, then I can get in. It is not too big a problem but I would prefer that it did not happen.

Xz

Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2020, 9:38am

Still in a whisper, but that's over a week now and no sign of the dreaded 'box'! Someone, somewhere, has done something, I'm sure. It wasn't me!

Xz

Posted: Wed 22nd Jan 2020, 10:25am

And all of a sudden - it's back again! What is going on?

I've seen no updates or changed anything at all, in fact I haven't even switched on my P.C. for two days.

Mick

Posted: Thu 23rd Jan 2020, 11:38am

I've been following the thread and logging on each day without any problems. I use Microsoft Edge, I don't know whether that makes the difference.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot