« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

FaceBook page

George

Topics: 8

Replies: 44

Posted: Tue 28th Jan 2020, 12:13pm
FaceBook page

Is now open use 7.25" Gauge Society to log on .
Please note decimal instead of forward slash

Replies To This Post

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 28

Replies: 231

Posted: Tue 28th Jan 2020, 10:18pm

Sorry I have no idea what you are on about?

Oliver

Topics: 0

Replies: 5

Posted: Wed 29th Jan 2020, 10:20am

Martyn, there is now a Facebook Page for the Society.

The page name- 7.25" Gauge Society Ltd

Please note that the page has been created to advertise the society, to show people what we do.

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Wed 29th Jan 2020, 4:15pm

George yes I had seen it but your first message sounded like you could log in

Peter Beevers

Topics: 6

Replies: 188

Posted: Fri 31st Jan 2020, 9:33pm

And that FB page can be found at:
https://www.facebook.com/725-Gauge-Society-Ltd-100185724781633/

P.S. Don't you wish this useless website would support embedded hyperlinks???

Mick

Topics: 11

Replies: 236

Posted: Sat 1st Feb 2020, 8:25am

I don't use Facebook and I'm concerned that the website, despite it's faults such as that mentioned by Peter, is going to be replaced by it. Can we have assurances it is additional/duplicate to the website and not replacing it?

Xz

Topics: 33

Replies: 397

Posted: Sat 1st Feb 2020, 9:16am

Like Mick I don't/wont use F/B or any other social media, but I would expect from what I've heard that it could be more active than the forum, which is a shame, as I believe that the forum is at least somewhat more permanent. The counter to that is it is probably more attractive to the young who we do wish to attract. I would hope both will run alongside and perhaps compliment one another.

Peter Beevers

Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2020, 8:23pm

Mick, given a properly thought out IT strategy, I can see no obvious reason to replace the website with social media. There are functions of the website (e.g. the events calendar, these fora) which would naturally move, but it would not make sense for lots of the other content to move. The problem is - and this web site isn't immune from this - that IT is a constantly moving target, so needs continual effort to stay up to date. So while Facebook is currently a very popular social media platform, it certainly won't be in the long (or even medium) term - and that would, in itself, require more change. It all depends what the society wants to achieve on the internet - it has certainly missed the social media bus already, as Martin has pointed out.

Xz

Posted: Wed 5th Feb 2020, 9:40am

I think there is a fundamental difference between social media, F/B, Twitter etc., and a website based forum. Media is more for news and instant access, and is quite, even very, transitory, whereas a forum is a learning resource and discussion board, and should therefore be much more permanent. My major worry is - use it or lose it. There is a lot of good advice and information laid down in this forum, it would be a shame for that to disappear.

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 42

Replies: 165

Posted: Wed 5th Feb 2020, 5:45pm

Facebook has caused the death of so many groups such as the yahoo one's. The problem with FB as far as I can see is join it and you give your soul to them you have to be very clever to avoid their intrusion into the whole of your life. For that reason I won't join it or Twitter or any other social media sites

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 42

Replies: 165

Posted: Wed 5th Feb 2020, 7:16pm

I hope this website does not close? An FB page cannot become the structured controlling authority for the gauge regarding publishing such as standards etc. Control of these things would be lost on a group that exists more for chat etc. I'm happy to continue to pay my £25 PA which I consider good value for money

George

Posted: Fri 7th Feb 2020, 8:57am

Dear Members

We have introduced a facebook page for the use of members to widen our exposure to the wider world of 71/4 railways.
WE WILL NOT BE REMOVING THE WEBSITE AT ALL AS IT IS A VALUABLE RESOURCE BUT WILL BE SPENDING SOME MONEY ON IT.
Please send any sensible changes and thoughts to the webmaster

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Sat 8th Feb 2020, 6:53am

George it is great to have a presence but Facebook is no good unless it is used. People who use it expect things regularly.

Also good to hear the website is having make over. The most important for me is that it scales for mobile phone use as me and no doubt the majority of those into phones access on a smart phone not a pc

Ideally we need to keep the info in these forums even if it has to be an archive version

Xz

Posted: Sat 8th Feb 2020, 9:40am

An archived forum would be a waste of time. A Forum requires constant input to move forward. As I said above it is a 'learning resource' so without that input it will certainly die. It is already severely handicapped by it's poor operation, probably one of the reasons it gets so little use.

ivanhewlett

Replies: 72

Posted: Sun 9th Feb 2020, 3:29pm

Hi All
I have tried the facebook page and it looks as though it could develop into something very useful and more dynamic than the website, although as Peter Beevers says I expect that facebook will disappear in time, whilst the interweb will probably remain.
However I do disagree a little with Martyn's comment that the webpage should be designed to suit mobile devices, for me mobile device screens are too small to have any practical value, just about useable for facebook, but I always use a PC to access the website. If anything I would focus the website for PC use and ideally add the ability to add photographs of a reasonable file size - at present I seldom have any pictures small enough to post. And yes I know that there are ways of reducing the file size, but life is short and this is a clunky workaround at best.
I like the website and hope it remains, but would suggest concentrating on delivering good content on decent size screens.
Just my thoughts for what they are worth :-)
Kind Regards - and please keep up the good work on all fronts - Ivan 1065

ivanhewlett

Posted: Sun 9th Feb 2020, 3:29pm

Hi All
I have tried the facebook page and it looks as though it could develop into something very useful and more dynamic than the website, although as Peter Beevers says I expect that facebook will disappear in time, whilst the interweb will probably remain.
However I do disagree a little with Martyn's comment that the webpage should be designed to suit mobile devices, for me mobile device screens are too small to have any practical value, just about useable for facebook, but I always use a PC to access the website. If anything I would focus the website for PC use and ideally add the ability to add photographs of a reasonable file size - at present I seldom have any pictures small enough to post. And yes I know that there are ways of reducing the file size, but life is short and this is a clunky workaround at best.
I like the website and hope it remains, but would suggest concentrating on delivering good content on decent size screens.
Just my thoughts for what they are worth :-)
Kind Regards - and please keep up the good work on all fronts - Ivan 1065

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Mon 10th Feb 2020, 11:16am

Ivan I am not saying to redesign the Website around mobile phones. The (free) software I use on my club website optimises for PC and mobile with very little work. The current website is awful on a mobile simply because it was designed before Smart Phones came on the scene and is very static. Any update to the website that misses out on the Smart Phone integration is a another waste of money.

I agree with the rest of your comments.

George

Posted: Mon 10th Feb 2020, 4:12pm

To Ivan and Martyn, Peter and others
Since you guys seem to know the answer to the website problems or so you say. Could I suggest you put a paper together for the committee to study. If you send it to me or publish it here I will make sure it gets seen by the proper people.
We do need other peoples inputs, I mereley administer the site
George

Peter Beevers

Posted: Mon 10th Feb 2020, 6:31pm

George,
I'm not sure if your post (above) was meant to be funny, or ironic, or what really: but to me, as an IT professional of nearly 40 years standing, it comes across as exceedingly rude. I suggest you consider carefully what you say in future before putting fingers to keyboard: I for one certainly won't be wasting my time helping a society with such arrogance at its heart.

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Mon 10th Feb 2020, 8:10pm

George
My skills only extend to using Wix which is free and fits my club’s need for a free website that is accessible mainly to those mainly ladies with children who will fill our open days. Actually Facebook is our biggest marketing tool where our audience is made up of 75% 25-35 years old females! My spec would be as I stated above, being able to put web links that work and with the use of Facebook for events as it is much more flexible to invite people etc. Give it a try.

Xx my mention of archive is in case with a change of web software we cannot keep the forums in this form. Typing on my phone is nearly impossible in this box which is tiny and just doesn’t scale for mobiles.

This website is aimed at members but we need to attract the younger generation who will access it via smart phone 90% if not more of the time.

I premise that we can generate some form of reports into usage of the website in which case it should be obvious what does and does not get used. Personally first port of call is this forum followed by the for sales. I occasionally look at events and Clubs. I use the archive to look for articles every now and then.

bruce morgans

Replies: 26

Posted: Tue 11th Feb 2020, 10:18am

Hi guys until I read the opening post on this subject I was not aware of the Facebook page so I assume it was not created as an official Society page otherwise members would have been informed of its existence.
Being of the older generation I tend to view Facebook as a media for persons to publish things of the moment and there is rarely any common thread binding the posts together. On the other hand the Society Website provides the opportunity for members to engage in discussion and debate via the forum, to buy and sell via the For Sale page and obtain general information via the Society pages. I know which one I value the most and although the website may not be perfect as some members suggest I think it meets the needs for the majority of members, and long may it continue. Regards Bruce

Oliver

Posted: Wed 12th Feb 2020, 12:05pm

Hello guys,

As George has said, the Facebook page will not replace the website.
The website is too valuable and is very useful.

The Facebook page has been created to advertise the Society, to show likeminded enthusiasts the benefits of becoming a Society member.

To reach out to potential individuals, who could become members, we need to show them what we do.

Facebook is a great form of advertisement. If we want new members to build up numbers in the Society, then this is the way forward.
It is free to use!

The Facebook page has only been active for a month, and so far it has 92 followers and it has reached 654 people. This is a great start!

Please support the page: like it, share it, tell people about it.
Facebook- 7.25" Gauge Society Ltd

I hope this reply helps with the confusion around the topic.

Kind Regards,
Oliver Sayell (5857)

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Wed 12th Feb 2020, 1:18pm

Oliver
I am pleased to see we can now post on the page that way it should start to generate some traffic. Shame it wasn't '7 1/4" Gauge Society' as that is what I keep searching for and failing to find.

Are you looking for general 7 1/4" posts or specific to Society events?

Oliver

Posted: Wed 12th Feb 2020, 3:25pm

Martyn,

That was an honest mistake when the page was created, it can be changed.

As it is a page to advertise what the benefits are, we would like the focus to be on Society events and benefits.

Kind Regards,
Oliver Sayell (5857)

bruce morgans

Replies: 26

Posted: Wed 12th Feb 2020, 4:01pm

I’ve just realised I’ve been looking at the wrong Facebook page! When I first became aware that the society had a facebook page I must have clicked on 71/4” Railways which is not the Society Facebook page. So beware, how many more are there?

Oliver

Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2020, 9:17am

Good morning,

The Facebook page name has changed.
It is now '7 1/4" Gauge Society Ltd'

Kind Regards,
Oliver Sayell (5857)

Oliver

Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2020, 9:41am

Good morning,

The Facebook page name has changed.
It is now '7 1/4" Gauge Society Ltd'

Kind Regards,
Oliver Sayell (5857)

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Thu 20th Feb 2020, 4:16pm

Oliver that is much better details are important

Railrose

Topics: 4

Replies: 56

Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2020, 10:13pm

Ivan Hewlett, If you use Windows photos are easily cropped in "Paint", first make a copy, and open that one with Paint so you don't lose the original picture and there's a tab to change the size. I change the percentage to 25 %, save it and it's are small enough to upload.
Cheers, Rosie

ivanhewlett

Posted: Tue 25th Feb 2020, 11:24am

Hi Rosie, I hope you are well ? Thanks for the information re Paint. I have not really used that program, but will give it a go. Wtach this space........
Hope to see you soon, here's to a great running season in 2020. KR Ivan

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot