Forum Options

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.



Joined: 2-01-14

Topics: 42

Replies: 165

Posted: Tue 16th Oct 2018, 11:03am

My Station Road Steam Feldbhan 0-6-0 is virtually new and has been steamed twice for no more than a couple of hours at a time in yet the certificate is about to run out (December) If I steam the loco after that am I breaking any laws if not re tested? The ioco is on a private secure site with no public access. If I run I would advise any friends calling that the certificate had expired.

Does anyone know if air compressors used in a private workshop are exempt from annual testing as would be the case in a commercial workshop?

Replies To This Post


Joined: 9-08-09

Topics: 14

Replies: 136

Posted: Tue 16th Oct 2018, 4:28pm

You would need to find out what the French requirements are for both tests.

In the UK an untested boiler would not be covered by insurance but France may be different.
A private air compressor again would need clarification under French rules - U K only when used commercially but good practice to have regular checks made.

Peter Beevers

Joined: 9-10-01

Topics: 6

Replies: 188

Posted: Wed 17th Oct 2018, 8:46am

You need to find out what the rules are in France.

In the UK, the common insurance policies require up to date boiler certificates. However, it is not illegal to run without - although it may be somewhat silly. No matter how careful you are with it (leave the boiler empty with all taps open for airflow and store in a damp free environment), it's always good to have someone else look inside for you: they may notice something you haven't

Having said that, I travelled to Belgium several times with my late father and his loco, and he was never asked for any certification at all.


Joined: 2-01-14

Topics: 42

Replies: 165

Posted: Sat 20th Oct 2018, 9:55am

Thank you Frank and Peter, I guessed there was no law applying to private individuals on their own premises I suspect it may be the same in France? I'm trying to find out. I can understand that Insurance Companies would insist but currently I'm not insured, Walker Midgeley can't offer cover outside the UK but strangely their parent Company Towergate insure my property.

Can anyone on here give a pointer as to who may offer cover in France>
« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot