« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Locolift

Slowcoach

Topics: 13

Replies: 28

Posted: Mon 7th Oct 2019, 11:40am
Locolift

Going through some old News I found an advert for a company called Locolift. They sold a lifting/building/maintenance bench which was fitted with 7 1/4"G rails. The number on the advert was no longer for that company. Is there a supplier of such benches now?

Replies To This Post

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 57

Posted: Mon 7th Oct 2019, 5:01pm

In the early 2000s the Handy Height company produced the fore-runner of the Locolift product, adapted from motorcycle lift technology. Several variants were available according to required track length, wheel/castor types etc. Handy Height was eventually taken over and re-branded Locolift, with a number of improvements and updates made to comply with industry requirements. Whilst the Locolift product was specifically aimed at the miniature railway market, it seemed demand was not enough to continue manufacture for long.

At the present time there are other products which may offer the appropriate lifting capability and investigation of the different types of motorcycle lift is recommended. If it is required to lift from near ground (track) level some of these lifts may suffice. Do be aware that some will lift vertically, others in an arc; most should lift to bench height. With small wheels/castors they are not so easy to move around when loaded, however. Also look for 'scissor lifts' on the internet.

For what it's worth, I researched a lift for my own modest requirements and acquired a 'mini stacker' with 400kgs capability. It offers both forks or flat tray loading area and will lift from almost ground (i.e. track) level to approx. 1 meter. It differs from other lifts in that long items are best transversely placed, but manoevreability when loaded is good in small areas - even though that requires practice!

Hope that helps.
Good luck!
Frank.

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 42

Replies: 165

Posted: Mon 7th Oct 2019, 6:15pm

What are you looking for and what weight do you need to lift? I looked at motorcycle lifts then found SJR garage equipment and bought a 2.7 ton capacity car scissor lift for less than the biggest motorcycle lift added a couple of 3 m long 100 X 50 channels as track and had a very good piece of kit. In my case I cut a pit in the loco shed floor so it stays in there permanently and when lowered is flush with the floor, track comes in from the turntable. You could however use it as a portable unit wheeling it around wherever you want. When not lifting a loco it makes a very good variable height workbench. Talk to Sam at SJR my only connection is as a very satisfied customer, they are on Merseyside

Slowcoach

Topics: 13

Replies: 28

Posted: Thu 10th Oct 2019, 5:55pm

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your replies. I'll contact SJR as they sound promising. Also I have relatives on Merseyside so a trip North would please my wife.
Best wishes

Jack Meatcher (191)

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot