Forum Options

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Paul77

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Tue 20th Nov 2018, 10:48pm

Hi, recently joined after taking ownership of my grandad's Midge locomotive. Has been in the family for a long time but never finished. Currently working on compiling the drawings with the boiler top of the list of jobs to complete.
Am looking for a table/stand with wheels, would appreciate any feedback/suggestions on the stand.
Thanks
Paul

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 24

Replies: 296

Posted: Wed 21st Nov 2018, 8:37am

Hi Paul, Probably the bees knees for that job is one of the Motorcycle lifting tables available from Machine mart or the like, if it's not too big for your work-space.

Bob G.

johnnicholson

Topics: 14

Replies: 81

Posted: Wed 21st Nov 2018, 9:23am

My Romulus is stood on a Machine Mart lifting table 500Kg model which is different to the motorcycle stand. But many years ago I built a wood stand for my smaller loco but it has been strengthened several times over the years out of 45 square timber. The Romulus will be going back on that shortly.

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 32

Posted: Wed 21st Nov 2018, 2:43pm

Hi Paul,
Good suggestions from Bob and Paul - here's another:

Try a 'mini stacker' (a diminutive fork-lift with optional table). I use one for all sorts of manoeuvres in compact spaces and have found it invaluable. At 400kgs capacity, with two castors and two braked swivel wheels, it will lift from close to ground level to bench height.

You mentioned the boiler for your loco. Unless you are fully conversant with the current rules and regulations concerning boilers for our type of loco, it is imperative to gain knowledge of this before embarking on construction and indeed during construction (free advice and assistance is usually available from the boiler inspectors of model engineering clubs/societies. Depending on your locality, there may be an inspector from this Society nearby).

Best wishes for your project.
Frank.

Paul77

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Sat 24th Nov 2018, 1:59pm

Thanks for all suggestions and advice. 
Have tried to add a picture showing my start point for the project
Think I will have more questions soon!
Thanks Paul
Thanks for all suggestions and advice.
Have tried to add a picture showing my start point for the project