« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Parkside Electronic speed control - "deadmans handle"

Keith

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Wed 5th May 2021, 1:03pm
Parkside Electronic speed control - "deadmans handle"

Can anyone assist me in modifying Parkside 24v controller by inserting a "dead mans switch" to prevent engine proceeding if controller hand set is dropped or if operator is walking with engine and trips over permitting engine to continue on its own down track.

Replies To This Post

Johng

Topics: 3

Replies: 10

Posted: Wed 5th May 2021, 6:33pm

You obviously have a controller with a rotary switch and what you really need is one with a joystick control where the stick is spring loaded to the zero position if you let go.
I would have thought that your best solution would have been to contact Parkside who would advise and quite probably modify the controller for you.
Unfortunately Parkside still seem to be closed because pf the virus but I assume they will be opening soon. Keep an eye on their web site and speak to Marcus whom I am sure will be only too willing to help.
I doubt if this is a simple DIY job.

Keith

Posted: Wed 5th May 2021, 7:36pm

Johng Many thanks - I have attempted to contact Parkside but understand covid restrictions. I "appear" from bench tests to have resolved the problem by inserting a simple "push to make" switch in line with the potentiometer zero point thanks to a very helpful discussion with Omeg UK, the potentiometer manufacturer.
Keith

Johng

Topics: 3

Replies: 10

Posted: Thu 6th May 2021, 9:36am

Thinking about the matter last night I came up with the same solution namely a simple push switch in series with the speed control or master switch.

Glad you got things sorted out.

Brian Leicester

Replies: 16

Posted: Sat 8th May 2021, 6:45pm

I have spent some time on a loco with a puch button of the kind you have described, and I find it is a pain to keep presure on a single little spot. The button is on the side of the handheld controller, so I added a lever hinged at the top of the handset which presses the button. This means that the button can be held by several fingers, and it is easy to change the grip for comfort, or even to change hands. Some other drivers of the same loco put the controller down while they are driving and hold the lever in just with the weight of their hand.
I would recommend doing a mock-up of the handset and sitting in your normal driving position and holding the button in for the amount of time that a typical length of run will take. The simple button will feel fine for a minute or two, but our run is a little over 6 mins so it soon gets to be troublesome for me. Try the same with the lever and hopefully you will find it much better.
Brian.

Keith

Posted: Sun 9th May 2021, 11:24am

Brian - thanks for the advice - only tried on kitchen table at moment to see it works. Hopefully track testing within the week and sounds like modification may follow!

Keith

Posted: Thu 20th May 2021, 1:22pm

Brian - yes I think you are right. Did a few circuits of Oxford track yesterday and although not too bad then a hinged lever will be worthwhile addition. Thank you for the suggestion.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot