« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Photographers, pictures tell a 1000 words, but half the story

George Coles

Topics: 31

Replies: 188

Posted: Sat 25th May 2019, 7:31am
Photographers, pictures tell a 1000 words, but half the story

Now the season in in full swing, can I appeal to photographers to add some details to their postings in the Gallery. We often get pictures posted with no details, except, maybe, the railway (and not always that even!) and the photographer recording his copyright ownership. "What, when, where", makes the picture more interesting. Unfortunately, there is no way of commenting on pictures posted by others, so we can't ask for details after the picture has been posted.

You may know, your mates may know, but this is a public site, so, if your picture has any value, please share what you know. I understand the perceived need for some details to be kept private, but a pretty picture with no details at all is just that - a pretty picture, and we can all take those.

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 11

Replies: 236

Posted: Sun 26th May 2019, 8:14am

Well said George. I always try to tell a story when I post my photos. And show our railway in a good light too, some photos, to be honest, don't do their subjects justice!

George Coles

Posted: Wed 3rd Jul 2019, 9:14am

Obviously my appeal fell on deaf ears!

Some great pictures of the 4th b'day celebration for Thomas II, with good title, and informative captions, were followed by.......

Molly.
I'm sure that whoever posted it is proud of his picture. Is it his loco? Where is it? Is is a special occasion, or just a nice day?

Please help us to get more enjoyment out of your lovely pictures, and remember that, one day, some-one may look at your picture, and ask the same questions that I have posed above.

George C

Mick

Topics: 11

Replies: 236

Posted: Thu 4th Jul 2019, 1:58pm

Just for the record George, the Thomas II photos are mine! I've just posted oldest and newest Thomas's on shed in the gallery section.

Little Hunslet

Topics: 5

Replies: 43

Posted: Wed 17th Jul 2019, 8:45am

I’ve just looked at the latest member image as the point levers looked very interesting but, as normal, there is no mention of where it was taken or which club. I liked the idea of the levers being side on as we struggle for side clearance on ours which are at 90 degrees to the track. Be interested to know which club it is.

Pete

George Coles

Posted: Wed 17th Jul 2019, 10:27am

Thanks Pete. I was sitting on my hands.

George C

George Coles

Posted: Wed 17th Jul 2019, 11:31am

Pete, The Wolverhampton & District SME have similar levers, with the addition of indicators to show which way the point is thrown. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the levers when we were there earlier this year.

George C

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot