« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Radius

GWRGirl

Topics: 9

Replies: 39

Posted: Fri 2nd Aug 2019, 11:46am
Radius

Hi could anyone help me please, what is the minimum radius you can have for a 9ft coach with bogies.
Many thanks,
Gloria.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 33

Replies: 397

Posted: Fri 2nd Aug 2019, 3:33pm

I'm afraid that question is really unanswerable, as it depends entirely on the design of the coach. The positioning of the bogies and their ability to turn under the body being the main criteria.

When building a railway try to keep all curves as large a radius as possible.

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 42

Replies: 165

Posted: Sat 3rd Aug 2019, 11:09am

Interesting as my site has constraints and for ease of site construction as well as making up a jig for making track panels I stuck to 30 ft (9.14 m) advice gladly received on here was that radius should ideally be 20 times wheelbase with 12 times as minimum assuming 3 mm gauge widening of curves. I have some 3 m long rolling stock running on CMD bogies which are about 500 mm wheelbase so in theory should run round a 6 m radius as it is running around 9 m is very easy, they have more than adequate allowance to swivel I also have some conventional 2 fixed axle rolling stock with 760 mm wheelbase which in theory is pushing the 12 times ratio to the limit but in practice they do run round the curves easily. My railway is private so annual running hours small and I'm hoping that wheel and track wear will not be an issue but of course it could be in the case of club type running or commercial operation where hours are long and loads heavy.

Railrose

Topics: 4

Replies: 56

Posted: Sat 3rd Aug 2019, 5:30pm

I second Xz's plea for the largest radius possible given the location. As I'm of the trial and error type I build a portable track system based on a six foot, 1,80 metres radius with 2 mm gauge widening. I'm running my petrol mechanic with 500 mm wheelbase on it with no problem at all, pulling trains of up to ten four wheel wagons, most have 440 mm wheelbase. If you search 'Rosie Jane Bongers' on YouTube you can see me in action. The bogie cars are 1800 mm (6 foot) long, pivot distance is 1200 mm (4 foot), bogie wheelbase is 220 mm.

I'm taking the extensive circuit I had at the Brighouse Minimal Gauge Gathering to the AGM at Newport next month.

It all depends on what you want to drive, true scale mainline 4-6-2's are happier with at least 10-12 metre radius. but for narrow or minimal gauge anything goes. My indoor track has a smallest radius of three feet, and no problem with a 440 mm wheelbase.

For your 9 ft bogie coach I wouldn't go too far below 5 metres radius, depending on the angle your bogies can swing under the coach body

GWRGirl

Posted: Sat 3rd Aug 2019, 5:59pm

Hi thank you ever so much for all the information I have received from Zx HauteSaoneFrance and Railrose.As stated I am new to this gauge as I had a chance to acquire it I took it.I have another problem is where to find somewhere to lay the track and run it. I have been in touch with our local council but have received no replies so stuck at the moment
Regards,
Gloria.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 4th Aug 2019, 5:36pm

Hi Gloria, I'm not surprised at no reply from the Council, I think most local authorities are taking a hard and mercenary line to those who are prepared to start any sort of attraction for public benefit and joy, how much money can we make out of this is often the cry and then there is the matter of 'regulations' which greatly effect public running.

GWRGirl

Posted: Sun 4th Aug 2019, 9:04pm

Hi HauteSaoneFrance,
Thank you for your reply.I am trying to sort out public liability insurance with Walker Midgley have no reply from them either. I have been asked to take it to Vintage and Steam Rallies, as it will be portable being on aluminium track.I take it from your name you live in South of France in the Haute Region.
Regards,
Gloria.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 4th Aug 2019, 10:15pm

Hi Gloria, My place is in Eastern France in Haute Saone region in the small village of Mercey sur Saone 150 m from the river Saone itself, it's less than 50 miles from the Swiss border my nearest City being Besancon and about 1.1/4. hours drive from the larger Dijon. I spend as much of my time there as possible but also live in Bristol UK.

As soon as the intial loop here is finished hopefully by this Autumn anyone is welcome to come and 'play trains' there are very good workshop facilities and a loco lift that will deal with 2.7 tons. It is however entirely a private site with no public running.

Best wishes

Davina

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 57

Posted: Sun 4th Aug 2019, 11:43pm

Hi Gloria,
It seems you have a myriad of questions that come to mind as you find your way into the world of 7 1/4" gauge! I'm sure you will find many answers to your questions in due course, including the matter of radius (well covered above).
With a considered (cunning?) plan.........may I suggest using this forum and/or Sales & Wants* to appeal specifically for 7 1/4" gauge member contacts in your area? Once you get to know a few members you'll be sure to find some answers to those questions. *Sales & Wants may also be transcribed to the magazine.

There may not be many, or indeed any, club tracks, but there are some private railways that should be accessible for you. Many would welcome Society members, especially if you can help with various duties, at the same time getting to know good operational practice as well as some technical matters.

Whilst at present there is no means of private member contact via this forum, should you wish to deal with some of your queries direct, my email is to be found in the magazine archive (Winter 05 - Autumn 13) - inside front cover on the Committee list as 'Trade Liaison Officer'. I will be pleased to assist further if possible.

Best Regards,
Frank.

GWRGirl

Posted: Mon 5th Aug 2019, 4:11am

Hi HauteSaoneFrance,
Thank you ever so much for the invite and good luck building the loop.
Regards,
Gloria.

GWRGirl

Posted: Mon 5th Aug 2019, 4:20am

Thank you for reply franksidebottom,
I think I have wasted my money joining up to 7.25 the magazine is ok but difficult to find out how to talk to other members you mentioned about sales and wants I have had no replies from anyone here in Cornwall or any help from Cornwall Council.So have decided to go portable and just take my railway to rallies.I had the chance of acquiring the loco and track plus a carriage from one of the memberson here. which was bought for me by my partner as it would help to fund our 16mm Portable Railway and our local group.
Regards,
Gloria.

frankcooper

Topics: 14

Replies: 136

Posted: Mon 5th Aug 2019, 11:27am

I am sorry to read of your concern regarding lack of responses. Unfortunately we don't have many members in the Cornish area which I feel is the real answer. Also being the summer most of us are heavily involved at out own clubs in running or other activities.

GWRGirl

Posted: Mon 5th Aug 2019, 11:49am

Good morning Mr Cooper,
Yes I do understand summer can be a busy time for us all, and i do kindly admit to your response. Yes Cornwall does seem to be out on limb. I do apologise for my last e-mail to you.I believe it can be frustrating for us all at this busy time, and as I am a newbie to this scale, but also in my lifetime have been involved with main line locomotives being an ex GWR Employee.
Everything I have seen and read are established railway the other side of Cornwall namely Devon, Somerset,and beyond.I was hoping by joining 7.25 that help would be at hand to head me in the right direction regarding insurance and questions and answers.
Just have to wait and see what happens.
My kindest and best regards,
Gloria.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 28

Replies: 231

Posted: Mon 5th Aug 2019, 10:14pm

Gloria I have tried to resist but but have a look at groups in Facebook as they see much more traffic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7.14.railways/?ref=share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MinimalGaugeRailways/?ref=share

GWRGirl

Posted: Tue 6th Aug 2019, 1:38pm

Hi Martyn,
Thank you ever so much sorry to say I am having problems with Facebook at the moment.
Regards,
Gloria.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sat 10th Aug 2019, 7:13pm

can I join in with the 'I don't like/do facebook' A freeby of course but at what personal cost unless you're so clever that you can thwart every attempt at them extracting as much personal information on you as possible?

7. 1/4 is for setting the standards, someone has to do it. I come from the yachting boating community and the Royal Yachting Association control the sport just like the FA do football so yes we need 7.1/4

Oh and by the way £25 quid a year is miniscule sum in comparison with what most of us spend on our hobby

GWRGirl

Posted: Sat 10th Aug 2019, 8:07pm

Hi HauteSaoneFrance,
I quite agree with you on those issues. I am not very keen on using Facebook myself but most of my relations use it its a way of keeping in touch I suppose.
I pay £19.00 a year membership to the 16mm Garden Railway Asscotiation for my partner and myself we get a lot from it with a quarterly magazine and bulletin which my partner is area co-ordinator for Cornwall and myself being Secretary.
Regards,
Gloria.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot