Posted: Sun 28th Feb 2021, 1:54pm
Romulus 7.25 Gauge

How can i drive two Lubricators from the Slide Bar

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Topics: 6

Replies: 188

Posted: Sun 28th Feb 2021, 2:17pm

I/m not sure I understand why you'd want to do that: a twin ram/output lubricator would give you two oil outputs. If you need more, put one on the other side, too. That's 4 oil feeds.. . .

N Linwood

Replies: 8

Posted: Mon 1st Mar 2021, 4:31pm

Hi Peter. I used to have two lubricators on either side driven by the valve rod but when you notch back the pump action stops as they are not ratchet driven.

Peter Beevers

Replies: 188

Posted: Mon 1st Mar 2021, 9:43pm

Drill a hole higher up the actuating arm and attach the drive rod to it, the arm will now swing further and so will still pump when notched up.

Little Hunslet

Topics: 5

Replies: 43

Posted: Thu 4th Mar 2021, 10:13am

Gentlemen,  Can I add a thought to this one.  When I built my Romulus I also made and fitted two direct injection lubricators as suggested by one of my club mates.  He had a drawing and successfully used one on his Holmside for many years.  I made them and tested them on my lathe and all seemed to be OK but once on the engine I was never happy. They delivered varying amounts of oil and, more importantly, seemed to need regular adjustments depending on the temperature of the oil.  Because they injected on every stroke, the faster I went and with more cutoff the oil didn’t have time to feed the reservoir thus less oil was pumped. Similarly the colder the steam oil (winter running) the less oil was pumped. After about 2 years of trying to get them adjusted correctly I gave up, threw away the innards, and fitted a ratchet pump into one of the tanks.  I repiped so that both cylinders were off of one tank and added an extra tank (the other lubricator) for extra range and haven’t had a problem since. I would be very interested to know if others have had similar problems as I fail to see how the direct injection can possibly work reliably in all conditions.

Pete King 2992
Gentlemen, Can I add a thought to this one. When I built my Romulus I also made and fitted two direct injection lubricators as suggested by one of my club mates. He had a drawing and successfully used one on his Holmside for many years. I made them and tested them on my lathe and all seemed to be OK but once on the engine I was never happy. They delivered varying amounts of oil and, more importantly, seemed to need regular adjustments depending on the temperature of the oil. Because they injected on every stroke, the faster I went and with more cutoff the oil didn’t have time to feed the reservoir thus less oil was pumped. Similarly the colder the steam oil (winter running) the less oil was pumped. After about 2 years of trying to get them adjusted correctly I gave up, threw away the innards, and fitted a ratchet pump into one of the tanks. I repiped so that both cylinders were off of one tank and added an extra tank (the other lubricator) for extra range and haven’t had a problem since. I would be very interested to know if others have had similar problems as I fail to see how the direct injection can possibly work reliably in all conditions.

Pete King 2992

N Linwood

Replies: 8

Posted: Thu 4th Mar 2021, 4:21pm

Thank you for your replies back to the drawing board.

Denis Mulford

Topics: 4

Replies: 34

Posted: Fri 5th Mar 2021, 11:24am

I use Hydrostatic lubrication on my loco's and do not have a problem. Easy to use as you can govern the amount of oil flow. Worth thinking about.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot