« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Society reaction

gerryclarke

Topics: 9

Replies: 13

Posted: Sun 19th Apr 2020, 4:47pm
Society reaction

I am surprised at the lack of reaction to my posting announcing the death of Don Ashton a Legend in the hobby. I have been told to use Facebook as there is little reaction from the 7 1/4 Society. I suppose I need to move with the times. Sad though that people prefer Facebook to our forum.

Replies To This Post

frankcooper

Topics: 14

Replies: 136

Posted: Tue 21st Apr 2020, 10:58am

I am afraid that Gerry is right. A lot of our members only read the NEWS and the website is not something they look at. Recent news items on the website have not been read as members say they wait for the NEWS to tell them what is happening.

craiggluyas

Topics: 0

Replies: 7

Posted: Wed 22nd Apr 2020, 9:16pm

I totally disagree Frank, there is a big difference between “Reading” a post and replying to it. I dip in and out of the forum quite regularly to read stuff but only post if it’s relevant to do so (which it normally isn’t).
I’m surprised about the comment on the news items on the website too on here given the majority of recent Items have all been about The News magazine!

frankcooper

Posted: Wed 22nd Apr 2020, 10:29pm

I can only report on the calls I have received asking where the March NEWS is. This is despite the item being on the website.

craiggluyas

Topics: 0

Replies: 7

Posted: Sat 25th Apr 2020, 6:22pm

It’s not exactly jumping out at you though is it? Half way down the news column which, let’s face it, doesn’t update much. Can we assume every member who hasn’t rung you has read it?
Perhaps in such situations about society news a bulk email to members may be worthwhile? The one I received about the Swindon meet (although a little close to the weekend) was very welcome and alerted me to something I had missed.

frankcooper

Posted: Wed 29th Apr 2020, 7:29pm

We are looking at a regular email via Mail Chimp as a means of communication - but we don't have current emails for over 25% of the membership. We even find the addresses every time we mail out NEWS produces a small number of "gone aways".

owd bob

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Mon 8th Jun 2020, 1:02pm

Always sad to read of members passing especially with those who no doubt had so much knowledge and experience to pass on to others, i can't say as a recent member i knew of Mr. Ashton. but i'll no doubt read and hear a lot about him in the years to come. I do'nt do facebook or any kind of that stuff, and i would rather use this forum as a form of communication. I always like to see and study the recent Pics' and read the helpful info'on here once a week but must admit postings are thin and far between, i like the idea of the Mail Chimp newsletters which might be a useful way of telling some of us the up to date news and extra information.Cheers Bob.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot