Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Weight limits

GWRGirl

Topics: 9

Replies: 39

Posted: Mon 26th Aug 2019, 12:34pm
Weight limits

Help required,
Please could someone advise me of the weight limits of 16mm aluminium track please. I have abattery operated remote control locomotive weighing approx 180kg with 2 volt batteries a riding truck weighing approx 20kg plus a 4 seater carriage not sure of the weight of this as its too heavy for me to lift.
Regards,
Gloria

Replies To This Post

Richard S.

Topics: 12

Replies: 25

Posted: Tue 27th Aug 2019, 12:06am

Not sure of a weight limit as such, it depends on the sleeper spacing and track base. You need to consider the axle loading i.w. weight per wheel. If you have sleeper spacing of 4-6" on a suitable ballast base it shouldn't be an issue. Most twisting of rail is likely on portable tracks where the rail is not suitable supported by an un-level base eg car park or soft grass. The passenger coaches are likely to have the highest axle loading. A 4 foot passenger (for simple sums) weighing 100kg with 4 large passengers 100kg would be 500kg total, i.e. 125kg per wheel, change that to a bogie coach and the axle loading is halved just over 62kg. Having said that I've seen full sized rail be bent by a loco this year..

Mick

Topics: 11

Replies: 236

Posted: Tue 27th Aug 2019, 7:45am

This topic was dealt with in detail under the heading Acceptable Axle Loading in the Track, Signals and Infrastructure section in October 2016. If you would like to look there you will see some calculations I submitted and others' advice and observations.

GWRGirl

Posted: Tue 27th Aug 2019, 8:22am

Hi Mick,
Thank you ever so much for your help and advice as I am new to this gauge there are always questions and answers. The spacing between the sleepers are 4 inches apart. Hopefully that will be ok. Will try and find the information you passed over being new i am having difficulties finding my way around the site and contacting members.
My kindest regards,
Gloria.
Ps a (Dumb Blonde)

Mick

Topics: 11

Replies: 236

Posted: Wed 28th Aug 2019, 8:26am

You're welcome! If your sleepers are four inches apart you'll not have a problem, so don't worry about it.

GWRGirl

Posted: Wed 28th Aug 2019, 10:55am

Good morning Mick,
Thank you ever so much for all your help. All I need now is somwhere to install my railway its sat at home doing nothing. As I am the only person in the surrounding district that has a 7.25 railway there is nobody in my area, so I am stuck at the mo. There are no clubs that I can join.Transport is another problem. Although I have been asked to take it to Steam Rallies and Fairs next year. I did ask if there was any volunteers available through sales and wants who would like to form a group. sadly no replies.
Regards,
Gloria.
Ps this railway was passed down to me as it needed a good home.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot