Forum Options

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Wordsearch in 2020 Spring/Summer Magazine.

Stephen

Topics: 1

Replies: 9

Posted: Fri 19th Jun 2020, 4:54pm
Wordsearch in 2020 Spring/Summer Magazine.

Sadly it appears that a "gremlin" has crept in to the magazine on this puzzle as the top four (at least) lines seem to have been omitted.
Perhaps the full version could be made available at some stage.
It is a pity that this happened as I welcome an innovation such as this.

Replies To This Post

RETBDavid

Topics: 0

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 4:09am

There is also an offensive word in the middle of the grid as well! May offend the Junior members. Has anyone else noticed that?

Xz

Topics: 33

Replies: 397

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 8:26am

Now you've got everybody looking for it! Ha ha!

There are also a few words not listed. These things are not easy to construct.

Ex Ed.

Stephen

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 8:51am

Indeed these things are not easy.
I had also noticed that there was a word that ought not to have been there but I was too polite to say so!
Tig is in there twice (or was it Git for one of them, but not descriptive of our members) and, as is not unusual in these puzzles, some other words, but they do not really relate to the subject matter of the particular puzzle so are often there more by luck than good judgement.

Xz

Topics: 33

Replies: 397

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 9:29am

The first unlisted one I spotted was "coal" which is very appropriate, however the one that had me worried was "work", something which I do try hard to avoid!

Stephen

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 10:09am

Of course the word that should not have been there is really a reference to a cleaning product that we should all have in our workshops (finest universal cleanser known), next to the perennially useful tins of elbow grease. It was, apocryphally of course, an improved version of Best Universal Grit Grime & Effluent Remover (originally to be distributed by Initial as part of their range of cleaning products until they wisely looked more carefully and thought better of it!).

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 57

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 1:31pm

I checked and found all 63 search words present in the grid of 26 columns X 22 lines - in both my original proof copy and final magazine. Having said that, I had not deliberately searched for any other (unlisted) content that might be - shall we say - 'contentious'!
As stated above, these compilations are not easy; personally I reckon Gilly has contributed an original and thoroughly entertaining piece for the magazine - and so much the better that some of our members have managed to eke out other 'unlisted' items from the puzzle to enhance the entertainment value via this forum!
Anyone want a proof-reader's job...................?

Stephen

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 3:19pm

I also wanted to make it clear that I enjoyed having a puzzle of this type in the magazine and to support the idea of having items of this nature. I wanted to praise, not criticise the idea and I endeavoured to use a form of words that would make this clear.
I note, however, that in the nine vertical columns at the top right side of the puzzle there are printed significant parts of four words (Air compressor, Tinsnips, Dividers [upside down] and Semaphore with the top three or four letters missing and that these do not seem to me to appear elsewhere in the puzzle (or was this a clever ruse to put us off?). I will look further to see what I can find as a few other words still elude me - I had supposed that they would be in the top four lines that I had assumed were missing. I deduced four lines because these puzzles are usually square.

Stephen

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2020, 4:29pm

I have had a further look through and, in addition to the part rendered words, I believe that Fire, Brass, Gauge, Torch, Reamer, Vacuum, and Fittings are missing.
As I didn't have any (freight) trains to run today on the line at home I also had time to find the following words not in the solutions to look for. In addition to Coal that has been mentioned (and one other already discussed) I found (in no particular order) Old, Git, Sex, Orgy, Knob, Teat, Cat, Tope, Map, Curl, Wisp, Alp, Sop, Ton, Tone, Get, Bee, Ram, Hat, Hop, Pop, Loll, Tint, Harp, Eel, Tap, Lark, Eon, Hail, Tat, Lace, Sty, Pep, Kit, Fit, Vow, Suko, Show, Rate, Pin, Had, Riven, Honk, Golf, Lag, Pacific, Run, Runt, Amp, Warn, Ill, Cot, Stir, Sped, Boat Chop and Boon. Any others - answers on the proverbial postcard please.

Alan

Replies: 11

Posted: Tue 30th Jun 2020, 12:19pm

Great job with the word search. Once I found the unusual array of words it only increased the enjoyment. Beats doing the wifes Womans Weekly one any day. Really looking forward to the next edition in the same format. Great fun and I also have only can praise the effort it took to put it together.

gillianrainer

Replies: 4

Posted: Sat 4th Jul 2020, 4:21pm

Yes unfortunately the Gremlins got it and the top four lines are missing, it should be 26 x 26. I am please you have enjoyed it and sorry about the rude words creeping in, (like work). My proof reader missed these too. Postcard time - Bag.
Do you want another one in the future?

Mat Rainer

Replies: 3

Posted: Sat 4th Jul 2020, 4:28pm

For thoes who are intrested the top 4 lines should be:-
Line 1:- FITTINGSANMWLGITIAEHOTORCH
Line 2:- IJKBLUAREAMERFUANIFLOICSPS
Line 3:- RFVACUUMATUTADPLBRASSNORKE
Line 4:- ESNKOTGXALCSCRIGBCMUNSIENM

RETBDavid

Posted: Sun 5th Jul 2020, 2:59am

Hi all,
Sorry if I upset anyone by finding the offensive word. I was worried that it may offend the younger (children) members of the Society. Perhaps I should have politely not added the last sentence?
I never counted how many times I went through all 572 individual squares in the grid, looking for the missing words that I could not find. I must have been searching a couple of hours or so before I realised that they were missing and not there at all.

Thank you Gilly for a thoroughly enjoyable wordsearch, and look forward to more in future issues of the News. Well done.

Thank you Mat for posting the missing top 4 lines.

Kind Regards, David.

Stephen

Posted: Sun 5th Jul 2020, 8:42am

Thanks for the top four lines. I will add them in for completeness and see if I can find any other words!
Yes please - let's have some more - they are good fun to do when not running trains. My line hasn't closed as I use it for freight, between houses (a lot of things for us get delivered to our neighbours and vice versa) and garden rubbish to tip, etc.

Stephen

Posted: Sun 5th Jul 2020, 9:52am

With the extra lines added all the stated words are now there.
I noted bag, as mentioned, when I looked again and, with the missing lines added I noted Rig, Tan, Tad, Ear, Tig/git (again) and sadly one other (3 letter) rude word.

« Back to Miscellaneous Topics Topics

Contacts | Links | Cookies

Registered office: Yorkshire Accountancy Ltd, 123 Hallgate, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4DA
Company registered in England & Wales Number 3955091 © Seven and a Quarter Gauge Society Ltd

Web design by Slingshot