« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Portable track - quick release fishplates

NickDeytrikh

Topics: 1

Replies: 4

Posted: Fri 1st Jun 2018, 6:05pm
Portable track - quick release fishplates

I have a track around the garden (1 x 3/8”bar) but the driveway to the house presents a slight problem.
I propose to construct rail sections that can be put down and lifted as necessary (burying the track in the drive is not an option).
Can anyone advise on the best reliable method of linking the track sections together which could be done with ease and speed? Nick

Replies To This Post

George Coles

Topics: 25

Replies: 157

Posted: Fri 1st Jun 2018, 9:36pm

Nick, my way of doing it is:-

Two fishplates as normal clamped to one end of each of the fixed rails. Drop the ends of the removable section into the slot between the fishplates and push two long bolts through the holes (I usually do it with the heads in the four foot.) If the bolts have plain shanks and are a good fit they won't work loose.

Thinking about it..... If you aren't (and I don't) put nuts on the bolts, you could taper the ends to give you a lead into the holes, which would make life easier.

My penn'orth - now watch the engineers' reactions!

George C

Electric

Replies: 2

Posted: Fri 1st Jun 2018, 10:17pm

I've used 3/8'' dia. rod and 3/8'' BSP for a 1.5'' long pin and socket arrangement. It is surprisingly reliable. Hope this helps.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 23

Replies: 156

Posted: Sat 2nd Jun 2018, 8:10am

For our portable track we have fishplates bolted to one piece of track then you slip the track into the fishplates and drop a very flat ‘C’ section that simply drops over the sleepers on each section of rail. The fishplates keep the alignment and the C stops the track coming apart. It takes no time at all to join up a 150’ long Portable track.

George Coles

Posted: Sat 2nd Jun 2018, 10:46am

Surely both Martyn and Electric's systems need the track to be slid into position to join the next section? Nick wants to be able to "put down and lift as necessary." Sliding the track sections is not an option if the track either side of his drive is fixed down, is it?

BTW, I like the simplicity of the C section track joiners - shades of 'O' gauge tinplate?

George

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 23

Replies: 156

Posted: Sun 3rd Jun 2018, 9:05pm

Good point George although a power driver on the last two fishplates would sort.

Colin Edmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 93

Posted: Tue 5th Jun 2018, 9:42pm

I have made laser cut sleepers which you fold up at the ends and weld under the bar rails. The hook slides through a slot in the adjacent sleeper and when you drop the track it hooks on to the sleeper and won't release. To release just lift the joint and slide apart. The rest of the sleepers are welded flat bar.
I have made laser cut sleepers which you fold up at the ends and weld under the bar rails. The hook slides through a slot in the adjacent sleeper and when you drop the track it hooks on to the sleeper and won't release. To release just lift the joint and slide apart. The rest of the sleepers are welded flat bar.

George Coles

Posted: Wed 6th Jun 2018, 6:23am

Nice one Colin. That looks as if it would be great for portable track. However, 'slide' appears in your description, so my comment above applies.

George C

NickDeytrikh

Replies: 4

Posted: Wed 13th Jun 2018, 7:53pm

Thanks to you all for your ideas. The task does not now look so daunting. Nick

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot