Posted: Sun 18th Feb 2018, 12:11pm
Spark Arrestor

Does anyone have a design for this item to be fitted to a 7.25 Gauge Romulus

Replies To This Post

Bill

Topics: 18

Replies: 41

Posted: Sun 18th Feb 2018, 9:55pm

Bob's article, 7.25 NEWS Autumn 2009 Issue 130 Page 12 SEE ARCHIVES LEFT OF SIGN IN/OUT BUTTON TOP RIGHT

Mick

Topics: 9

Replies: 177

Posted: Mon 19th Feb 2018, 8:07pm

Strictly speaking Bob's design is a spark deflector and not an arrestor. It has the advantage of sending smaller particles to one side whereas a true spark arrestor may allow fine ash to pass through - it's intended to stop hot ashes which are larger. A true arrestor is best made from small mesh stainless set in front of the tubes, or surrounding the blast pipe in a tube up to the top of the smokebox. Mine in ELLA is a combination of a vertical mesh sheet in front of the tubes cut to the diameter of the smokebox, but instead of reaching to the floor, is folded forwards until it meets snugly up against the smokebox door. Any ash build up can accumulate on the floor instead of in front of the tubes. An arrestor using mesh over the top of the chimney will quickly clog up and reduce performance and may be fired off like a rocket into the air. That happened to me a some years ago at Millerbeck!

Peter Beevers

Topics: 4

Replies: 157

Posted: Tue 20th Feb 2018, 6:48am

Sorry but this is a particular hobby horse of mine - spark deflectors are not enough - WM insurance only talks about spark arrestors. Yes, a spark arrestor does get clogged over time but it's just like anything else on a loco - if kept on top of, it's fine, and saves you from the possibility of injuring someone.
My personal preference is for a tube of stainless mesh round the blastpipe/bottom of the chimney. I weld a plate on to the blastpipe which is 2-3 times its diameter, them wrap the gauze round that and secure with a jubilee clip. This is simple to do, and simple to remove to clean when the time comes.

Xz

Topics: 26

Replies: 328

Posted: Wed 21st Feb 2018, 10:00am

Without exception mesh filters do clog and often VERY quickly, especially if they get oil on them. I've filled one in less than a full lap of some tracks, it boils down to the coal in the end, some coal will allow it some won't. That is the reason mine is a deflector. It actually deflects forward and DOWN but could be altered deflect sideways if desired, but would probably be less effective. It is extremely effective and I have had no complaints of smuts or ash since making it.

N Linwood

Replies: 6

Posted: Wed 21st Feb 2018, 11:02am

Thank you all for the various ideas I have tried the Baffle on Chimney but found that it deflected most of the ash onto the valve gear but will try the larger size Deflector.
Nigel Linwood

Denis Mulford

Replies: 30

Posted: Wed 21st Feb 2018, 11:46pm

Nigel,

For the past 8 years on my Baldwin loco I have used a cylinder of mesh wrapped around the blast pipe and with the blower also inside. This then goes from the smokebox floor into the chimney for a couple of inches, the cylinder has to be the diameter of the inside of the chimney and I use some 2.5 conductor from electrical cable to hold it all together.
It can be blown out easily with and airline but I take it out every now and again to give it a good clean. Works well.
Whatever you decide to use make sure that oil does not get into it as it mixes with soot and ash and clogs up.

Little Hunslet

Replies: 34

Posted: Thu 22nd Feb 2018, 11:06am

Hi Nigel,   I have been using a spark arrestor on my Hunslet for many years now with no problems so I made a similar one as follows for my Romulus.  First I make a brass collar to fit snugly over the blast pipe which cab be clamped tight with one 2BA cap screw.  At the front and back of this collar there is a 2BA hole for fitting each half of arrestor.   The arrestor is made from 10 X 2mm steel in two halves covered with SS mesh (#14 mesh from The Mesh Company Warrington) and when together looks like a mesh cone (see photos).  The mesh is attached using 1/16" copper rivets.  The bottom of cone fits nicely around the brass collar and the top around the petticoat pipe.  
 To fit.  Screw the rear section of the arrestor on to the collar (cross head screw) and turn the collar so that the arrestor is at the back and just touching the blast pipe on the right side.  The collar clamp screw should now be at the front and can now be nipped up.  Now fit the front half of the arrestor, job done.

Hope this helps.  Regards Pete
Hi Nigel, I have been using a spark arrestor on my Hunslet for many years now with no problems so I made a similar one as follows for my Romulus. First I make a brass collar to fit snugly over the blast pipe which cab be clamped tight with one 2BA cap screw. At the front and back of this collar there is a 2BA hole for fitting each half of arrestor. The arrestor is made from 10 X 2mm steel in two halves covered with SS mesh (#14 mesh from The Mesh Company Warrington) and when together looks like a mesh cone (see photos). The mesh is attached using 1/16" copper rivets. The bottom of cone fits nicely around the brass collar and the top around the petticoat pipe.
To fit. Screw the rear section of the arrestor on to the collar (cross head screw) and turn the collar so that the arrestor is at the back and just touching the blast pipe on the right side. The collar clamp screw should now be at the front and can now be nipped up. Now fit the front half of the arrestor, job done.

Hope this helps. Regards Pete

Little Hunslet

Replies: 34

Posted: Thu 22nd Feb 2018, 11:26am

Alternatively you could try one like Brian Parkers (Peterborough SME). Definitely no sparks or smuts on this one and Brian's white shirt is just as clean at the end of the day.

Pete :-)
Alternatively you could try one like Brian Parkers (Peterborough SME). Definitely no sparks or smuts on this one and Brian's white shirt is just as clean at the end of the day.

Pete :-)

N Linwood

Replies: 6

Posted: Thu 22nd Feb 2018, 12:32pm

Wow once again thank you for all the ideas i now have a good idea as to how to tackle the problem.
Nigel

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot