Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Turntables

Paul H B

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Fri 21st Dec 2018, 10:11am
Turntables

Hi there,

We are about to build 2 turntables at each end our railway.

I was just wondering what folk had to say on the subject as I can't see it mentioned in the forum before... (Approximate size, ground preparation work etc). Would be good to know before starting!

Replies To This Post

George Coles

Topics: 27

Replies: 172

Posted: Fri 21st Dec 2018, 1:20pm

Might be worth contacting the ESSMEE people. They set up a turntable for the 7 1/4 Soc AGM. It didn't need a pit- just a concrete pad. This avoids the problem of drainage, among others.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 24

Replies: 160

Posted: Fri 21st Dec 2018, 1:59pm

I suppose it all depends on the maximum loco length you wish to turn. At Ravensprings Park ours is 21’ long as a member started building a Garrett that was 21’ long, unfortunately it never got finished. Our current longest loco is 16’ an American Y6B. 

If locos have to use the turntables then is suggest going bigger than smaller as you can bet someone will builder a longer loco than you now have.
I suppose it all depends on the maximum loco length you wish to turn. At Ravensprings Park ours is 21’ long as a member started building a Garrett that was 21’ long, unfortunately it never got finished. Our current longest loco is 16’ an American Y6B.

If locos have to use the turntables then is suggest going bigger than smaller as you can bet someone will builder a longer loco than you now have.

Xz

Topics: 25

Replies: 318

Posted: Fri 21st Dec 2018, 7:19pm

I agree with Martyn, about as big as you can sensibly manage. Someone will always need longer.

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 40

Posted: Fri 21st Dec 2018, 8:34pm

Turntables have always held a fascination for me - so much can be achieved in a compact space.

Issue 145 of the 'News' can be viewed in the archive section of this website, where the Editor of the time kindly included an article I penned - it appears on page 13 (it includes a quote from XZ too!). I hope the article might help in your turntable research - at least I hope it may bring on a smile!

Good luck with your project - when it's completed I am sure our Editor would be pleased to receive an article about it!

Mick

Topics: 9

Replies: 169

Posted: Sat 22nd Dec 2018, 10:41am

We are in the process of enlarging our turntable at Sheffield - see comments above about going bigger if you can!. Instead of using the usual circular brick wall we have had a steel one fabricated for us and installed it ourselves. It came in two halves which we bolted together. It's bolted down to a concrete base and backfilled with concrete. A quick job compared to building a circular wall! I can't get photo to load, even after reducing its size - will keep trying. Is this connected with problems to do with the online magazine as well I wonder?

Paul H B

Replies: 1

Posted: Sat 22nd Dec 2018, 3:32pm

This is all great guys, thanks! I'll look up that edition now Frank!

We are building a West Highland Line in miniature to add to the Glenfinnan Station Museums' collection. This promises be a really interesting route (despite it's short length) which hugs the contours of the hill. Would be delighted to be included in an issue upon completion!

Thanks,
Paul

Mick

Topics: 9

Replies: 169

Posted: Sun 23rd Dec 2018, 1:17pm

Here's the photo I was trying to upload yesterday. The turntable bridge is the old one, extended to fit the new diameter. It will be replaced by a new one. The old support ring will then be removed and replaced by a larger diameter one rolled up for us by the fabricator. The touch up paint is where the joints are, there are two opposite pairs of flanges bolted together and now buried in the surrounding concrete. Also buried are 6 jacking screws set evenly around the outside of the steel wall which were used to level it. The central area of ballast is for drainage.
Here's the photo I was trying to upload yesterday. The turntable bridge is the old one, extended to fit the new diameter. It will be replaced by a new one. The old support ring will then be removed and replaced by a larger diameter one rolled up for us by the fabricator. The touch up paint is where the joints are, there are two opposite pairs of flanges bolted together and now buried in the surrounding concrete. Also buried are 6 jacking screws set evenly around the outside of the steel wall which were used to level it. The central area of ballast is for drainage.

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 33

Posted: Mon 24th Dec 2018, 10:00am

That’s a nice idea Mick, much better than bricks or block work especially when it comes to bolting down the rail spurs. Good solid concrete for the rawlbolts.

Merry Christmas Pete

Lynne L

Replies: 10

Posted: Thu 7th Mar 2019, 10:30pm

This is a photo of the turntable we are currently building at Haute Saone in France
This is a photo of the turntable we are currently building at Haute Saone in France

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot